The May 20 Assisted Living Forum was held via Adobe Connect Software. The agenda for this meeting and supporting documents and recordings will be available at the AL Forum webpage in the near future.
The meeting started off with announcements from Alfred Johnson, BAL Director. Among the personnel updates, he introduced the new Regional Director for the Southern Regional Office, Paul Peshek. Paul gave a brief “hello” to the group, gave a summary of his background, and said he was thankful for all the warm welcomes he has received so far. A “Meet & Greet” with Paul will be announced in the near future.
A few other highlights from the meeting included:
- Request for Waiver, Approval, Variance, Exception – Form #62548 is being reviewed for possible updates. Alfred requests that if you submit one of these to BAL, that you also make sure your MCO knows of the request as well.
- Save the Date! Focus 2014 is November 19-20, 2014. The pre-conference session will have a focus on End of Life Care. The main session will have a theme of “Teach. Learn. Collaborate.” More info available here
- Alfred commented that he was very pleased with the amount of providers who have complied with the 5 year delayed sprinkler system requirement. Only 5% of the providers who were required to do so, did not comply with the requirement as of this meeting. Those providers were sent Statements of Deficiencies.
Also during this meeting Alfred reviewed some of the BAL Initiatives that has been started by the Department:
- Dementia Care Redesign
- Lean Application – Discussion/Presentation from July 2013 Forum
- Resolve Sessions
- Intellectual Disabilities
and some that we will hear more about soon:
- Technical Assistance with ISPs
- Transitions in Care
- Falls Initiative
During this meeting Alfred also reviewed a Draft Memo – Assisted Living Facility Closure/Relocation Plans. If viewers had comments about the Draft memo they were encouraged to contact Alfred Johnson. The Memo will be issued the second week in June in final form. The Draft Memo was not sent to the AL Forum participants in draft form, due to confusion on the provider’s use of the drafts.