DHS officials have announced that several areas of the State will be served by at least two Family Care Managed Care Organizations (MCO). According to the DHS, the MCO participation expansion plans and timeframes are as follows:
- April 15, 2013: Ozaukee, Sheboygan and Walworth Counties (These counties are located within what DHS calls Geographic Service Region 6, or GSR 6). Care Wisconsin already serves Washington and Waukesha Counties.
Proposed start dates in GSR 2:
- August 1, 2013: La Crosse, Jackson, Monroe, Vernon Counties
- October 1, 2013: Trempealeau County
- December 1, 2013: Buffalo, Clark and Pepin Counties
Milwaukee County Department of Family Care:
- Proposed start date of May 1, 2013, in Washington, Waukesha, Ozaukee, Sheboygan and Walworth Counties (GSR 6).
Southwest Family Care Alliance:
- Proposed start date of August 1, 2013, in Columbia, Dodge, Green Lake, Jefferson, Marquette, Washington, Waukesha and Waushara Counties (GSR 5)
DHS notes that all dates are subject to change and MCO expansion requires the MCOs to complete both the DHS certification requirements and a permit application with the Wisconsin Office of the Commissioner of Insurance (OCI).
DHS anticipates that 22 counties will have at least two competing MCOs by the end of 2013; Ozaukee, Sheboygan, and Walworth Counties will have three MCOs, -and Washington and Waukesha Counties will have four MCOs.
Currently, no other MCO is scheduled to join the Northern Bridges MCO in serving persons in Geographic Service Area 7 (Douglas, Bayfield, Burnett, Washburn, Sawyer, Ashland, Iron, Polk, Barron, Rusk and Price Counties). Northern Bridges continues to struggle financially and is subject to special monitoring requirements by DHS and OCI.